Preaching Course Alternatives
Previously, we have delivered a preaching course for officers. However, this course is no longer available in our curriculum.
As many people are assuming local leadership and preaching responsibilities and need some help and support, the Open Learning team have recently produced a series of short courses to help those in local leadership.
Courses are not the only way to engage and improve preaching. Here are some ideas, and helpful links to resources:
- Coaching sessions to improve confidence and/or explore barriers to preaching:
- ‘The Preacher’ magazine – a quarterly magazine published to review and explore the subject of preaching; The website has a wealth of resources: https://www.collegeofpreachers.co.uk/
- The Festival of Preaching: https://festivalofpreaching.hymnsam.co.uk/
- Listening to other preachers and public speakers, particularly comedians, if people want to explore presentation styles and timings.
- The Church Times has some great resources on preaching: https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/preaching-resources
- Creating a community of practice for local leaders/volunteers and other leaders to share in a like-minded way and share their experiences and resources.
These books can be found at William Booth College library.
Title: Saving EutychusGMD: text Author: Millar, Gary; Campbell, Phil Imprint: 2013 Classification: 251 MIL Description: 172p pbk
Title: Preaching God’s word: a hands-on approach to preparing, developing and delivering the sermonGMD: text Author: Duvall, J. Scott; Hays, J. Daniel; Carter, Terry G. Imprint: Grand Rapids, Mich.: 2005 Classification: 251 CAR
Title: God is in the house: a fresh model for shaping a sermonGMD: text Author: Woods, John Imprint: Carlisle: 2022 Classification: 251 WOO Description: 1 volume ; 23 cm
Title: Preaching with all ages: twelve ways to grow your skills and your confidenceGMD: text Author: Barrett, Ally Imprint: Norwich: 2019 Classification: 251 BAR Description: 144 pages ; 21 cm
Title: The big idea companion for preaching and teaching: a guide from Genesis to RevelationGMD: text Author: Kim, Matthew D; Gibson, Scott M Imprint: Ada: 2021 Classification: 220.61 KIM Description: 640 pages ; 23 cm
Title: Intercultural preachingGMD: text Author: Searle, Pamela ; Boanerges, Seidel Abel ; Reddie, Anthony G. Imprint: Oxford : 2021 Classification: 251 RED Description: 241p pbk
Title: How to prepare and preach a sermonGMD: text Author: Waller, John Imprint: Cambridge: 2005 Classification: 251.01 WAL Description: 28p pbk
Title: Developing reflective practice for preachersGMD: text Author: Chadwick, Charles; Tovey, Phillip Imprint: Cambridge: 2022 Classification: 251 CHA Description: 28p
Title: Preaching beyond the pandemic: exploring topical homileticsGMD: text Author: Throup, Marcus Imprint: Cambridge: 2022 Classification: 251 THR Description: 28p pbk